have questions?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Fill out the form below and we'll do our best to help!

Home Owner Grant

The Provincial Government offers a Home Owner Grant to reduce the burden of property taxes on owners who occupy eligible residences. The grant amount is dependent on the taxes assessed on a property. At this time, the maximum grant  is $770 or $1045 for seniors 65 years or over, permanently disabled or individuals in receipt of certain war veterans allowances.


When property tax notices are sent out annually in May, residents of Port Hardy can apply for the Home Owner Grant online. You will need your roll number and the eHOG Password printed on your Property Tax Notice. To avoid penalty, you must claim the grant on or before the penalty date. You may claim the grant even if you are not paying your taxes.


Retroactive Home Owner Grant Information

If you did not apply for a Home Owner Grant in the previous year, you may still be eligible. A Retroactive Home Owner Grant Application for the prior year must be received by December 31 of the current year. To apply for a Retroactive Home Owner Grant please contact the Municipal Hall at 250-949-6665.


For more information about the regular Home Owner Grant program, eligibility and Home Owner Grants for seniors and people with disabilities visit the Provincial Home Owner Grant website.


Property Tax Deferment Program

For information on the Property Tax Deferment program, visit the Government of British Columbia Property Tax Deferment website.


Who Is Eligible For The Grant?

B.C. residents who own and reside in the property as their principle residence are eligible to apply for the grant. You and your spouse together may qualify for one grant on one residence in B.C. in any one calendar year, even if you live in separate residences (unless you are legally separated).


Do I Need To Apply For The Home Owner Grant If My Taxes Are Included In My Mortgage Payment?

Yes. Claimt he grant on or before the tax due date to avoid penalty. Fill in the form at the bottom of your tax notice and return to the municipal Hall or apply online using the CLAIM E-HOG Link


I Applied Last Year, Do I Need To Apply Again This Year?

Yes. You must apply every year.


Where Do I Get A Grant Application? (if not claiming online)

There is a grant application located at the bottom of your tax notice, you can get one at the Municipal Hall, or you can print one off here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/property-taxes/forms/fin-78-application-home-owner-grant.pdf. Fill in the form and deliver in person or by mail to the Municipal Hall by the tax payment due date (early July) each year.